If you’ve ever visited the Indiana University Bloomington campus, chances are you’ve seen the Indiana Memorial Union (IMU). With more than 500,000 square feet of space it’s one of the largest student unions in the world, and one of the campus’s most significant landmarks.
But the IMU is more than just a big building. Though the Indiana Union was founded as a student organization more than 100 years ago and the IMU building was constructed in the early 1930s, the IMU is just as important to campus life today as it was a century ago.
It’s a place where students, faculty, staff, alumni, and visitors alike come together to experience the spirit of IU. A place that welcomes everyone with Hoosier hospitality and where everyone feels a sense of belonging. A place to call home.
Welcoming all, the Indiana Memorial Union builds lifelong connections
among the campus community and to Indiana University.
To be at the heart of the community that inspires people to choose
- We engage all parties with empathy and respect, and seek multiple voices.
- We join our partners to achieve shared goals.
- We create a welcoming environment by embracing a culture of warmth and belonging.
- We foster space where people are treated with humanity and respect.
- We support teamwork and understanding through civility and humor.
- We believe inclusion is a necessary component of community.
- We commit to ongoing and evolving efforts to deconstruct barriers and amplify all voices.
- We cultivate an environment for all by all, embracing what’s unique about each other.
- We continuously evolve through forward thinking.
- We seek feedback, and use it to take informed risks.
- We respect tradition’s role in the midst of change.
- We work every day to have our actions reflect our words.
- We earn trust through respectful, honest, and ethical behavior.
- We strive to meet the professional, cultural, and educational needs of students.
- We foster leadership development and incorporate student voices in IMU decision-making.
- We provide practical work experiences to complement academic life.