All Union Board alumni who served at least one full term as a director, an assistant director, or committee member on Union Board are members of JWS, the John Whittenberger Society. JWS, an official Indiana University Alumni Association affiliate, was named after John Whittenberger who in 1909 founded the Indiana Union, which later became the Union Board.
John Whittenberger Society /Union Board Alumni
42nd Union Board Biennial Reunion
Save the Date! October 1-3, 2021Register Now
IU COVID-19 protocols will be followed at this event. Masks are no longer required for those who are fully vaccinated. Attendees who are not vaccinated, including constituents who are exempt from vaccination policy, should mask.
We certainly hope that you’re planning a trip to your campus home for the Union Board Biennial Reunion, October 1-3. We are working closely with the University to ensure this fall’s Biennial Reunion is done safely. Because of some extra, necessary steps, we are still working on getting registration set up. We hope to resolve this quickly, but we will continue to update this group.
In the meantime, you can reserve your room in the Biddle Hotel. Just mention or type code BIENNIAL21. Reserve at hotel.indiana.edu or by calling 800-856-8145.
Some of the events currently planned this fall include:
- Friday, Oct. 1:
- Opening Reception in the Union Board Office
- IU Late Nite
- Saturday, Oct. 2:
- Behind the Scenes Building Tour and New Spaces on Campus Tour, Concurrent Programs
- Career Panel for Students and Young Alums
- Tailgate Party (for IU’s away game) in the new Vault Pub
- Dinner in the Tudor Room
- Sunday Oct. 3:
- Brunch in the Tudor Room
For the latest updates, join the John Whittenberger Society Facebook Group.
A way to give back
The John Whittenberger Society was established in 1982 to serve as a formal alumni organization for Union Board. In 1985, it became an official affiliate of the IU Alumni Association.
In addition to helping alumni stay connected to Union Board and to each other, the society plays a key role in providing financial support to Union Board and the IMU. Since its inception, it has:
- Awarded more than $25,000 per year in scholarships to Union Board directors and committee members
- Provided funding for Union Board leadership retreats
- Established the Commemorative Garden and the Centennial Patio at the IMU
- Raised funds for the John Whittenberger Society Endowment through the Centennial Campaign
- Provided funding for Union Board students to attend Sundance
I enjoy giving back to help the next generation of students learn leadership skills and apply them in the real world.Christian Carroll, UB 1990
JWS Advisory Board
The John Whittenberger Society is led by an advisory board composed of eleven voting members who serve staggered four-year terms. The board also includes several ex officio, non-voting members including a representative from the IU Alumni Association, the current president of Union Board and the executive director of the Indiana Memorial Union. There are three executive officer positions on the board: president, vice president, and secretary-treasurer.
The board is responsible for establishing policies, filling officer and/or board vacancies, interpreting and implementing the John Whittenberger Society’s constitution, and maintaining relations with the IU Alumni Association, the IU Foundation, and other related IU organizations. The board meets at least twice annually.
- Laura Osteen (UB 1989–90, 1990, 1991), president
- Anne Kostyo (UB 2008), vice president
- Lydia Shanklin Roll (UB 2003), vice president
- Susan Burns (UB 1971-72)
- Kathy Cook (UB 2008)
- Cathy Deal (UB 1969-70 Alumni Rep. 2014-2017)
- Megan Ditton (UB 1996, 1997)
- Martín Gimenez (UB 2001)
- Jerald Harkness (UB 1990)
- Adele Kaplan (UB 1985-86, 1986-87)
- Kerry Maller (UB 1996, 1997)
- Julie Singer (UB 2009)
- Connie Billett - Assistant Director of Alumni Communities, IU Alumni Association
- Mara Dahlgren - Assistant Director, Student Involvement and Leadership
- Sadia Habib - President, Union Board
- Winston Shindell - Former Executive Director, Indiana Memorial Union and IU Auditorium
- David Spencer - Director of Development, Indiana Memorial Union
- Hank Walter - Executive Director, Indiana Memorial Union