All Union Board alumni who served at least one full term as a director, an assistant director, or a committee member on Union Board are members of JWS, the John Whittenberger Society. JWS, an official Indiana University Alumni Association affiliate, was named after John Whittenberger who in 1909 founded the Indiana Union, which later became the Union Board.
John Whittenberger Society /Union Board Alumni
A way to give back
The John Whittenberger Society was established in 1982 to serve as a formal alumni organization for Union Board. In 1985, it became an official affiliate of the IU Alumni Association.
In addition to helping alumni stay connected to Union Board and to each other, the society plays a key role in providing financial support to Union Board and the IMU. Since its inception, it has:
- Awarded more than $25,000 per year in scholarships to Union Board directors and committee members
- Provided funding for Union Board leadership retreats
- Established the Commemorative Garden and the Centennial Patio at the IMU
- Raised funds for the John Whittenberger Society Endowment through the Centennial Campaign
- Provided funding for Union Board students to attend Sundance
I enjoy giving back to help the next generation of students learn leadership skills and apply them in the real world.Christian Carroll, UB 1990
JWS Advisory Board
The John Whittenberger Society is led by an advisory board composed of eleven voting members who serve staggered four-year terms. The board also includes several ex officio, non-voting members including a representative from the IU Alumni Association, the current president of Union Board and the executive director of the Indiana Memorial Union. There are three executive officer positions on the board: president, vice president, and secretary-treasurer.
The board is responsible for establishing policies, filling officer and/or board vacancies, interpreting and implementing the John Whittenberger Society’s constitution, and maintaining relations with the IU Alumni Association, the IU Foundation, and other related IU organizations. The board meets at least twice annually.
- Anne Kostyo (UB 2008), President
- Lydia Shanklin Roll (UB 2003), Vice President of Alumni Relations
- Julie Singer (UB 2009), Vice President of Development
- Cathy Deal (UB 1969-70, Alumni Rep. 2014-17)
- Martín Gimenez (UB 2001)
- Scott Gudeman (UB 1982-83, 1983-84)
- Adele Kaplan (UB 1985-86, 1986-87)
- Beth Loeb Davies (UB 1981-82, 1982-83)
- Kerry Maller (UB 1996, 1997)
- David Miller (UB 1970-71)
- Sharon Tubbs (UB 1993, 1994)
- Hank Walter - Executive Director, Indiana Memorial Union
- Mara Dahlgren - Director, Student Involvement and Leadership Center
- Winston Shindell - Former Executive Director, Indiana Memorial Union and IU Auditorium
- David Spencer - Director of Development, Division of Student Affairs
- Diptanshu Rao - President, Union Board