In 1941, Indiana University alumni Frank O. Beck (A.B., 1894, and A.M. 1905) and Daisy Woodward Beck (A.B., 1899) gave the university an endowment for the construction of a chapel for prayer and meditation. Completed in 1956, Beck Chapel is constructed of Indiana limestone and wood from the forests of southern Indiana. Its design blends styles of religious architecture and incorporates symbols from different religious traditions.
Located steps from the IMU on the east side of the building, Beck Chapel is adjacent to Dunn Cemetery, a small family cemetery established by George G. Dunn in 1855. Chiseled on a stone pillar at one of the corners of the chapel is the inscription “Set apart by George Dunn for perpetual use as a cemetery.”
Beck Chapel can be reserved for weddings, memorial services, and other events of a religious nature. It is open to the public for prayer and meditation every day, unless it is reserved for a private event.